Since I know you’ve all been hanging on the edge of your seats, I thought I’d give you an update on the house hunting, by highlighting some of my less than favorites:
- The 2 bed, 1.5 bath condo with carpet in the kitchen. And the bathroom. Granted, it was a very nice carpet, new, and not shaggy, but still: Doesn’t carpet in those areas scream for mold & yuck? I don’t even want carpet in my living room, for the love of Jimmy.
- The open house I went to last weekend where the homeowner left her bras drying in the bathroom. Wouldn’t that be something you’d thing about moving before strangers came to visit?
- Also, if you’re going to take the time to light a candle before a showing, wouldn’t you also consider emptying the trash can full of cigarette butts & ashes?
- I refuse to buy a home where I’m afraid to go into the basement.
- The houses with slanted ceilings in the second floor bathrooms. I’m not really awake until 10 am, even on a workday. I’d be willing to bet I’d knock myself unconscious on day 2 of home ownership coming out of the shower. Then someone would have to rescue me while I’m naked, which is like my worst nightmare.
- What does “spacious” bedroom mean to you? To me, it means you can fit a little more that a queen sized bed. Like a nightstand or two.
- If I’m going to have a full master math, its got to have a shower. I’m not schlepping downstairs to shower every morning. “But, Julie, you said full…shouldn’t that mean it has a shower?” Not if it has a bath tub…with a slanted ceiling so you can’t even add a shower head.
- The adorable home with the Farmer’s porch and great deck — and two high voltage power lines in the backyard.
- Today we saw a home in a lovely neighborhood at a reasonable price. The catch? You can’t actually move in, because it doesn’t have a functioning septic system. And, while it has an attached garage, you have no way to get from the house to the garage without going outside. Why?
To top it all off, I can’t get us on to Property Virgins, House Hunters or Sleep on It, and I haven’t heard back from Hidden Potential. Life is sad here in my little buyer’s market.