After J picked me up from the always long train ride (after I finish this post I’m complaining to the MBTA), and went to the Pawtucket Red Sox game with his dad and his friend. The PawSox play right down the street in RI, and J says they’re #1 in their division at the moment. In my mind, the PawSox are infamous for having the longest baseball game ever. This fact was noted on cups found in almost every home in RI with the score running around them. Even though the game was in 1981, I still remember drinking from thise cups at my ex-BFF’s house when we were 13. I wonder if they still have them at McCoy? I’m calling J to see if he’ll bring me home one if they do.
I was going to blog about some random things, but talking about the PawSox made me nostalgic for RI. Sure, at the moment its only about a mile away, but MA is like a different world. Massachusetts people still talk funny, but its a different kind of funny. And even though I’ll belt out the lyrics to Dirty Water at a Sox game like a true Masshole (“Love that dirty water…Boston you’re my home!”), but deep down, I’m a true Rhode Island girl at heart.
Aside from the PawSox, what makes RI so special? In no particular order:
- The Size: You can get from one end of the state to the other in less than an hour. But most RIers think that’s too far.
- The Beaches: Lots of them, wicked close. We even have our own island!
- The Accent: Kind of a cross between NY and MA. Lots of dropped “r”s and some extra “w”s. As in “Oh my Gawd!”
- Buddy Cianci: Providence’s corrupt former mayor. He served jail time (for assault on his ex’s new boyfriend, I think) and then got re-elected. He served more time for racketeering, but is still revered across RI. Everyone loves Buddy! He even has his own pasta sauce.
Speaking of food, the best RI has to offer:
- Pizza Strips: Greasy dough with sauce, no cheese, served cold. They used to cost 3 for $1. If you want to be fancy, you can toast them in the toaster with some American cheese, but that’s a little high end.
- Awful Awfuls: The best kid is coffee: Coffee ice cream, coffee syrup, milk. Served at Newport Creamery. Awfully Big, Awfully Good. If you drink 3, you get a free one!
- Coffee Syrup: Like chocolate syrup, but coffee flavored. Mmmmm.
- Caserta’s Pizza on the Hill: Home of the best pizza in RI, and the Wimpy Skimpy (spinach pie/calzone with pepperoni & cheese) .
- Hot Weiners: Boiled hot dogs served on a bun with meat sauce (NOT chili), mustard, celery salt, and onions if you want them all the way. The best place to get weiners is in Olneyville at 1am, when the meat is ladled onto the dog by a big fat greasy man who lines the dogs up his bare arm before loading them up.
I’m sure there are a million other things I’m forgetting, but now I’m sad and hungry. I think I’ll go walk a mile and find some good food and good accents.